Monday, April 30, 2012

If you have sisters, you always have a helping hand


So there I was, straddling a mossy, fallen log stretched across a creek, as water swirled madly around rocks below me.  I hoisted myself an inch at a time across the log, looking ahead and not down, lifting my seat with tiring arms, swinging my hips forward and hoping not to land on anything that would poke me in an uncomfortable place.  I inched forward toward my sister Carolle who had already made it to the other side.  She encouraged me as I labored upward – of course, the log hadn’t landed straight across, but tilted up to give me a better workout! – and she informed me when I was past the water and over the rock ledge.  Almost there!  Well, three-quarters of the way, anyway.  Lift, scootch, pant. As I carefully swung my leg over to lie on my belly and slide off to the ground, Chantal yelled a cheer of congratulations.  Both sisters, I know, were slightly surprised I made it.

We were playing out the same scenario that had played out since we were little:  My bookworm self, chasing after my lacrosse playing, track running, gymnastic team-member sisters. (Four of them.  Yes, four.)  Me always a little behind, needing a boost or a hand or a quick lesson in fence hurdling.   Probably to the relief of my sisters, I often opted to stay on the couch with my Wizard of Oz books.  These days, though, with middle age encroaching (are we there yet??!!), I am loathe to miss out on an adventure, and guess what?  Now I’m a yoga teacher and although I’m not hurdling fences, neither are they.  I’m still much more cautious (okay, scared) than they are, but physically, I can keep up.  Slow but steady, my lifelong motto, has served me well. Yes, the tortoise is finally catching up to the hares! (Lucky for me the hares were my cheerleaders, not my tricksters!)

Off the log, up the mountain to the waterfall we went. Hurricane Irene had sent two intertwined trees down the banks of the creek, their top branches resting high up on the rocks, and their roots lifted like a huge platter of wood and mud.  The power of water is astounding. 

The power of sisters is astounding, too.

3 comments:

  1. tried to read it out loud at the dinner table-but teared up. So mom said "I can do it!", but she only read three words before she got teary. So Q read it for us!" Beautiful jenny, and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chant,
    Teary ain't the word maybe gushing water left behind by the hurricane would eaqual the tears in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete