Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Big Picture

I recently attended a yoga workshop. We were there to learn ways to relieve stress from our physical bodies as a way to keep fit and healthy. The teacher led us through some poses and spoke about self-compassion and healthy eating. Then she proudly held aloft a liter bottle of brand name water. “And, I drink at least four of these every day. See, I brought two along with me in case it was warm in here and I needed more than one.” Half of the group smiled smugly as their disposable water bottles stood proudly by their mats; the rest of them nodded sagely, reminding themselves to stock up next time they were at Costco. Leaving the yoga studio two hours later, I noted that the trashcan outside the door was filled to overflowing with disposable water bottles.

Taking a narrow focus, laying aside the global concern in favor of a personal one. Hydrating the body while filling the landscape with plastic. We need to remind ourselves of the Big Picture. We need to remember that our personal health depends greatly - perhaps even solely - on the health of our planet.


And so ends my unsolicited commercial for refillable water bottles and filtered water pitchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment