Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Peaceful Breath

The first time I sat in a yoga class, legs crossed on a sticky mat, and was told to breathe, I couldn’t resist opening one eye to see what the others were doing. Duh, I’ve been breathing my whole life, so what was the deal with breathing in this class?

Then more direction came from the teacher. I followed along, filling my body from seat to crown with air, then emptying out. It was both calming and energizing. As time passed, I learned that I was not only inhaling air, but also prana, or life force energy. I was not just filling my lungs, but my entire being. Each exhale was a release of whatever I had no use for at that moment; but if I changed my mind I could just breathe it back in, no questions asked!


Oh, yeah, in that first yoga class we learned some poses, too. That was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment