Tuesday, June 16, 2015

What to do, how to choose?

If I still wrote longhand on paper instead of typing on a computer, my floor would be littered with crumpled pages, tossed away in frustration. I want to write about how each person can make the best choice in diet and exercise. How to find the way, at long last, to a sense of physical wellness, where food and exercise choices come naturally and our bodies respond with joy and vitality. How to come to the place where we no longer spend most of the day strategizing about how to attend that barbeque without sabotaging our meal plan. How to be that person who exercises regularly and naturally because it makes her feel good.

Here’s where I’m getting hung up:
·     *  The best diet and exercise plan is different for each person.
·     * The diet and exercise information we grew up with should be out the window by now, but we are clinging to it anyway.
·      * I haven’t found the perfect diet and exercise plan for myself yet, so how can I counsel you?

Here’s what I’m left with:
·      * You do need to be aware of what you eat and drink, and how each makes your body feel.
·      * Don’t dismiss new diet information because it doesn’t jibe with what your mother taught you. It’s a whole new world out there and what might seem like a fad may actually be good, sound, scientific advice. (Notice I said it may be.)
·      * I do plenty of yoga and avoid processed foods and even though I am not at the weight I’d like to be, I am fit and energetic.

Here’s my advice to you:
·      * Eat good food and exercise every day.
·      * Try something new and pay attention to how you feel. Experiment with gluten-free for a while, and notice how you feel after eating dairy. Do you enjoy meat or are you forcing yourself to eat it for the protein? Pay attention to the sugars that sneak into your diet. Lose your fear of fat. In fact, replace the sugars with good fats and see how that suits you. Drop the calories in, calories out model.
·      * When people ask you what diet and exercise regimen you follow, tell them, I follow my body’s lead.

I’m not crumpling this one up, even though the advice may not be perfect. I’m no diet and exercise guru, and this is the best you’ll get from me today!


So who wants to meet me for a garden-fresh salad and some yoga?
Keep having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment