Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Turn it around


Instant access to current events and unbridled sharing of personal information often bring instant access to negativity.  I have a Facebook “Friend” whose status updates are, six times out of ten, about the bad things happening to her.  She laments, Why do bad things seem to find me so easily? and I hate waiting, and I feel completely run down.  Interspersed are happier thoughts, mostly about her children, and comments about how she plans to spend her day. 

Moaning and groaning may get you sympathy, but harboring negative thoughts – and even worse, putting them in writing -- about yourself and others, is a sure way to keep yourself down in the dumps.  Some people advocate writing down 3-10 positive thoughts every day, either first thing in the morning or last thing at night.  A good idea, but too easy to skip.  I say,

Catch yourself in a put-down of yourself or others, and immediately turn it around in your head.

As a trite example, “My thighs are huge!” morphs into, “My thighs are strong and get me places with ease!”

Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment