Sunday, March 18, 2012

Now, Then, Later


Ask yourself this:  What is it that I’m trying to do?

There are so many facets to our lives, each clamoring for the lion’s share of our attention.   While working on one task our minds are already surging ahead to the next job.  While painting the bedroom we are thinking about what color we should paint the hallway.  At work, one project is barely begun before you begin prepping for the next.  Breakfast dishes are hardly cleared before thoughts of what to have for lunch appear.

Let’s alter the original question a bit:  What is it that I’m trying to do NOW?   I am trying to get this room painted.  So paint!  It’s okay to buy the hall paint while you’re in Home Depot, but while you are painting the bedroom, paint the bedroom.  Pay attention to the bedroom.  Do a good job.  Listen to music. Enjoy yourself.

Don’t let your body complete one task while your mind is two hours/days/weeks ahead performing the next task.  Pull yourself together! Don’t lose today in thinking about tomorrow.

What am I trying to do now?  I’m trying to live my life with awareness.  I’m trying to do what I love with enthusiasm and do unpleasant tasks with grace.  I’m trying to take care of today.  Some days it works, some days I’m still working on it!  What are you trying to do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment