Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lightening Strikes


I’m having trouble with this week’s Om Minute. It has been a week of buffeting – like the electricity from all these thunderstorms is affecting people and events surrounding me and it’s hard to know where to look next. And it’s hard not to just run under the bed with the dog and wait it out. Yes, I am thinking of the tragedy in Colorado, as well as tragedies big and small happening to people I know and love. I get the feeling I am the eye in the storm and crazy things are spinning around me.

That’s not to say I think I’m the center of things, but that these events are not hitting my person or immediate family; and I want to say, “I hope it stays that way” but then I feel selfish/guilty – you have been on that merry-go-round, right?

The saying goes, Into each life a little rain must fall, but when it is happening to you, it doesn’t feel like a little rain; it feels like a deluge. Everyone, at one time or other, goes through periods like this, where the world around becomes less stable than we’d like. Eventually, the storm passes and we return to peace.

I just heard Marianne Williamson say today that when we look up and think, The skies are gray, that is not the truth, but the perception, because the grayness is just a veil, and beyond the clouds lies the blue sky. I am going to look up and think of that bright blue vastness behind these clouds, and I hope you will too.

Next week, I promise to be funny!!  (Yikes, now the pressure’s on . . .)

2 comments:

  1. We can't appreciate the beauty without the dreariness, the light without the dark, life without death, humor without the melancholy. Nor can we do anything about the fact that the we and the world are made this way. All is duality, a fractal. As the (Jewish) Buddah said, Life is suffering. Enjoy. Thanks for this post.

    The Rainy Day
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

    THE day is cold, and dark, and dreary;
    It rains,and the wind is never weary;
    The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,
    But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
    And the day is dark and dreary.

    My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
    It rains,and the wind is never weary;
    My thoughts still cling to the mouldering past,
    But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
    And the days are dark and dreary.

    Be still, sad heart, and cease repining;
    Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
    Thy fate is the common fate of all,
    Into each life some rain must fall,
    Some days must be dark and dreary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daniela! I didn't know that I was channeling ol' H.W.!
      I suppose it's good to remember that life isn't always rainbows and butterflies -- but those days ain't much fun.

      Delete