Sunday, July 1, 2012

No Bears


I am taking a few days to be alone.  Alone with my thoughts and ideas; alone with my computer, alone with my dreams. No cell service, no TV, no internet, just a landline phone and a DVD player. Well, almost alone, because I did bring my reluctant dog Sport.  I had to carry him to the car this morning, but now he’s snoring peacefully on the couch.

Despite gleefully anticipating this break from reality for weeks, I felt a twinge of anxiety when I turned up the road leading to this little purple cabin in the mountains. Did I really want to be alone for three days?? I had to do some yoga breathing (yes, I practice what I preach!) for the first mile or so up the hill.  It didn’t help that huge orange dump trucks kept rumbling past me on the narrow winding road, probably ten of them during the five-mile ascent. Yikes!

After Sport and I took a spin around the backyard I dragged all my stuff inside and set up for my aloneness.  Food in the fridge, laptop plugged in at the kitchen table, chocolate and wine within easy reach. I turned on the hot water heater and ate a banana and here I am. The weather is iffy today, overcast and pretty chilly, but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and warmer.  I plan to take a noisy (bear-scaring) walk with Sport down to the river to meditate.  Maybe I’ll bring my iPad so I can play music to keep away the, well, you know. I’ll let you know how that goes.

P.S. I’m home now. Not a bear in sight! It was great. I wonder when my family will let me desert them again . . .

1 comment:

  1. Taking an alone retreat is the best way to get showered with love and gifts upon your return to the family bosom. The longer you stay away, the more your beloveds appreciate you. The first time I went away for five days (to a writing workshop), a couple days in Hubby sent me a gorgeous floral arrangement. "Maybe I'll go away more often!" I quipped to myself. But it's weird, no one pulling on you. Lots of empty space. Who am I, if no one needs me or wants me or values me? Do I exist if I fall in the forest and no one hears me bawling? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete