Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Tree Grows in (insert your favorite location here)


My favorite balance pose is Vrksasana, or Tree Pose.  It is simple and can be done by beginners and experts alike; and as a teacher, I love being able to say, “Grow your tree” and watch what happens.
            Today I was a student, and my teacher brought us into Vrksasana.  She guided us to raise our arms, then to incorporate a little backbend into the pose.  Just looking up toward the ceiling changed my perspective and balance, and reaching back a tiny bit further with each breath changed my attitude.  My heart opened and I breathed deeply and evenly.  I filled with joy and grace. 
            Tiny changes in perspective and movement can create broad changes in body and mind. My favorite balance pose is Tree -- open, grounded, always growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment